Saturday, January 14, 2012

A Mixed Bag- And an Author Spotlight

Happy Saturday :) Today, my heart and my head are all over the place, and not necessarily at the same place together. I have been doing a lot of contemplating, hoping, brooding, and whining (not proud of that last one) over a few issues in my life. My natural instincts are not in tune with what my heart says is right or my head says is logical. So we'll see where this day takes me. Prayers for clarity are definitely much appreciated :)

Okay, so I want to share one of my favorite authors, who I discovered through YouTube a couple of years ago. His name is John Green, and he's a young adult writer. Now, just because his books are labeled "young adult" doesn't mean his audience is only for pubescent 14 year old girls who giggle at dirty words in books and read McSweeney's  so they can call themselves "ironic". His writing is edgy, beautiful, and thought provoking. His characters seem to be those few teenagers who really "get" the world and spend their time trying to find their own place in it. My first John Green read was Paper Towns, which has been noted as a modern day Great Gatsby.

John and his brother, Hank Green, have a YouTube channel called the Vlogbrothers. They have sparked a movement in the young adult world that is definitely worth watching out for. As a future English teacher, I LOVE that teens are being inspired to read quality material and be able to relate it to their own lives. That's one of the biggest tasks a teacher has to face- why do I teach this if my students have no use for it? I'm excited to see where Mr. Green's career takes him and I encourage ya'll to check out his work. His latest novel, The Fault in Our Stars, debuted this past week to amazing reviews. Go. Read. Now. : )

               

I hope you all have a great long weekend and, like me, spend some time figuring out where you are in this great universe and how you can make it a better place!

1 comment:

  1. Do you have any books of his I can borrow? :)

    Also, if you want to talk about all that's going on in your head (or even facebook message me) you know I am here for you! You can always come over!

    ReplyDelete